Liza and the Lost Letter
Lesson Plan, Grades 3-6
created by Suzanne Barchers, Ed.D.
Prepare and perform the play form of this story.
Things to Talk About:
- What is the setting of the story? Find it on a world map or globe. How is it different from where you live? (p. 17-18)
- Liza was influenced by a sermon on the Golden Rule. What is the Golden Rule? What other proverbs are useful to know and follow?
- Liza was clever in choosing a reward that was actually a punishment. What other "rewards" would be suitable for the gatekeeper and secretary?
Write Your Own:
What do think the letter said? Why was the princess so secretive about it? Write what you think the letter would be.
- The guard spoke brusquely to Liza. What would that sound like?
- The gatekeeper and secretary smiled with anticipation. What would that look like?
- Liza solved many problems along the way. Make a chart with two columns. Write Problems at the top of one and Solutions at the top of the other. List the events that were problems in the first column. Describe Lizas solutions in the second column. Consider adding a third column labeled Other Solutions and add your own ideas.
Play Word Theater with the following list of words that describe how someone acts. To play the game, students act out the words while others guess the word. To prepare, write the words on a list, reproducing it so that you have a copy for each pair or group of students. Cut up the list of words for each group of students and place the words in an envelope. Have a student draw a word and act it out while the others in the group guess the word. Then another student draws a new word and acts it out while the group guesses. If you want to make it competitive, have the students work to get through the
list as quickly as possible. For younger students, modify the activity by putting the words on the board and let them refer to the list as they try to guess what is being dramatized. Older students can refer to the story for ideas.
- Research what a royal carriage looks like. Check out the Museum of Londons website: www.museum-London.org.uk. Click on "Galleries" and then on "London Transport." Then look at the Lord Mayors Coach and the Sedan Chair. Do you think the royal carriage looked like one of these? Design your own.
- What do you think happened next to Liza? Write a sequel.
- Research the use of the lavender plant. Design a gown that incorporates what youve learned.